H4 working voluntarily

H4struggler

Hello:

I am on H4 and studying in a community college as a full time student since 1 year.I have received my I-20 from the community college and applied to USCIS and awaiting their response.

Meanwhile my class professor offered me the job in Community college IT department itself. I will not be paid, nor will be involved in any paper work. I will be allowed to work as per my availability and conveniences.

Is it okay if I accept the work? I am on H4, can I work voluntarily?

Will appreciate your advcie!

Thankyou

Sorry, that is not allowed. You can not work without the appropriate work authorization. The H1 does not allow you to work, not even for free.

You could volunteer only in a non-profit organization where everybody else in similar positions volunteers. A classic example is volunteering in a church.

First, there are minimum wage laws. That may prohibit that.

Second, on F1, you can work on campus, up to 20 hours/week. But again, be aware of the minimum wage laws.

Having said that, universities may have exceptions. The usual RA/TA salary for graduate students is probably close to or below minimum wage. I am not sure if that would apply to community colleges, which don't usually have graduate studies.

You would have to discuss this with HR at the university.

Archived