URGENT AOS line 15 with permit will ICE go after boss?

dragonz_i

My husband and I work at the same place and he is filing for me.

In my biography and AOS for it asks for current employment.

Will ICE go after my boss for hiring me? We both did not know it was not legal as It was in my field of study and on campus grounds but it is a private company.

My lawyer says to omit this and send him an email saying I volunteer. But this is not true as I get paid and have filled taxes before and will again this coming year.

Do you think DHS will go after my boss for hiring one person in error?

Do I omit this as my lawyer said?

I am not sure if your employment was illegal. If illegal then, such violation of non-immigrant visa should be within 180 days.Concealing information may not be the proper way...you may get penalized, you may not...

DHS may or may not go after your boss...however, your AOS will be in jeopardy.

I was told that in marriage such a violation even if it is beyond 180 days is routinely forgiven.

Is this not true anymore? how does it put my AOS in jeopardy?

I was only worried about my employer. I would not like anything I do to get him into any trouble.

I didn't know I would also be penalized even though I am married.

I'm not sure if it is illegal either but I am erring on the side of caution. Even though it is on campus grounds it is not paid from school funds and is an independent company.

I was told that in marriage such a violation even if it is beyond 180 days is routinely forgiven.

Is this not true anymore? how does it put my AOS in jeopardy?

I was only worried about my employer. I would not like anything I do to get him into any trouble.

I didn't know I would also be penalized even though I am married.

I'm not sure if it is illegal either but I am erring on the side of caution. Even though it is on campus grounds it is not paid from school funds and is an independent company.

Marriage of itself has nothing to do with it. If you are employed unauthorized, then you are out of status, and if you lie in the application, you may be denied for misrepresentation, in which case you won't be able to become a permanent resident, probably ever. Now, the question is whether your unauthorized employment will 1) result in denial of your AOS application 2) result in compliance trouble for your employer. It will probably not impact your husband's immgration situation directly (assuming he is a non-citizen), but his employer (i.e. company) may be fined, and he may even go to jail for knowingly hiring unauthorized workers. A bit hard to deny he did not know you were not authorized to work for him since you two are married, however, given that this was an on campus empoyment, he may have some wiggle room. As far as your application goes, it is hard to say whether it will be impacted because you do not provide specifics. One thing you may want to consider is re-entering the country on your visa, and then filing for AOS (you may have to wait for 90 days afterward). This generally whipes out previous out of status situation. Overall, this does not seem like a huge violation, and it is unlikely the USCIS will go after it.

Please provide a more detailed context of your situation.

It appears that you are an F-1 student. Are you? Did your DSO grant permission for the job? If yes, then it's OK.

What type of AOS is it? Marriage to a USC? To an LPR? Dependent on employment-based I-140? Be specific.

How long have you been working? Are you maintaining studies?

Archived