OTTAWA visa experience.

Kona

Hi All,

Just sharing my friend's friend ottawa visa experience. So please dont except me to answer all of your questions.

I want to thank him for providing all the required information.

Since i could not find some of the information in the forum . i'm posting it here.. hope atlease someone in this forum will get benefitted :)

visa interview : 2nd week of october.. for h1b renewal. .first time stamping in mexico

education : M.S

working model : EVC

Booking appointment at canada US consulate :

--------------------------------------------

You need to have a DS160 form confirmation number to book an appointment .. so use the link below and fill up atleast first page and save(you can fill rest when ever you have time :) ).

Get the confirmation number from the top right of the page

https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/

Once you have the confirmation number, use the following link to book an appointment

http://usvisa-info.com/en-CA/selfservice/ss_country_welcome

You need to pay $150. then only you will be able to see the appointment dates

click the submit button only once.. If you get any error. check your card transactions.

If you find amount has been deducted .. send anemail using contact us link on the webpage. they will make the changes

and allow you to book an appointment(they will respond in 24 -48 hrs)

DS 160 questions:

=================

Note: After booking an appointment ,if you want to schedule it to a different consulate.. just fill another ds160 form

.you can edit the ds confirmation number on the first page of appointment by clicking edit next to you name.

* You can't edit a DS160 form once you submit. So check thoroughly before hitting submit button

Upload picture in DS 160:

------------------------

To upload the picture to DS160 form. get the pictures from COSTCO .. scan the photo , you can crop the pic to the

required size and then save it.. It worked for him :)

There may be other ways too ..

Canada vistior visa process:

-----------------------------

To visit canada.. you need to have a visitor visa (TRV - temproary resident visa) if you dont have a canada pr

document checklikst form

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5484E.PDF

Link for all the documents below :

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/visa.asp

Scroll down the page you will find all the forms.

you need to fill forms

IMM 5257

IMM 5645

one more thing you need to take a money order $75 for single visit or $150 for multiple visits.

on the money order form you fill your information and the consulate people fill there information.

Regarding the photo .. take the photo from any store and cut them as per the requirements mentioned in the

photo specifications document. if you are still worried..go to SEARS and get the pics for $20 as per the specs.

He went to DC and apply in person. He received the passport with stamp on the same day

Ottawa experience:

------------------

Make sure to book hotel for 3days. he used hotwire.com and mentioned the address of the consulate

490 sussex drive, ottawa,canada to find the nearby hotels. ( other sites. expedia.com ,booking.com)

Check the distance from the address .bookin any one with the distance less than 1.1 miles.. you can walk or take

a cab. Average cost of the hotel is $105. If you are lucky you will get for less :)

Thru road:

----------

He drove to Ottawa. There wont be any one at the US border to take you I-94.. dont worry... at the embassy

consulate people will take your i-94

At the Canada border .. they will ask you the purpose(mentioned to attend the interview),how may days(5 days)

and ask you some questions(most of the answers are no:) ). then they will give a yellow form and ask you

to meet an immigration officer in the building towards your right hand side.. he will ask same questions and

take the yellow form and tell you to go .. no worries :)

Day of the appointment:

-----------------------

He reached there by the appointment time. Security outside will verify your appointment and asks you to wait.

Then will send around 5 - 8 people inside the consulate. You have to go through the security..

if you carry any items not allowed like ..cell phones,car keys.. dont worry.. they will put them in a deposit box :)

and give you a token ,which you can show to collect after the interview. (Better to avoid such things,not sure how long they will entertain )

after security , you will go to main area ..where a person will collect your ds160 confirmation page(if he finds photo is not

current one ,you have to go out of the cosulate to get a new photos) and i797. and gives a yellow card with a number.

once you pass that you will be in the main place..there will be two consulate officers intervewing and one person

will take your finger prints.

First your number will be called to get the finger prints.once that is done you have to wait for your number to be

called for the interview

Questions asked

what do you do?

how long are you working in us?

what company are you working with ?

Are you working at the client site? Yes

what is the client name?

what is the exact location of the client? ( he has an amendament with client location address)

Will you travel to client place to perform the duties(No staying at the client place and work from 9-5 regular hours)

Can i see the latest pay stubs?

VISA pproved :) -- gave the white slip to track the password.

He carried all the documents(Client & vendor letter, Mutual service aggrement with Vendor,lca ,w2,tax returns,resume,

company tax returns ,compliance documents verify the employer - employee relations ..check with your employer)

Only document asked --- latest PAY STUBS

note: Make sure your PIMS(Petition Information Management Service) information is send before your interview

This will be taken care by your employer.If not there will be a delay in geting the passport

* After the interview just mention about i94(if you have in your passport) if they dont say anything about it

..they will take care of it.

* EVERYONE was APPROVED on that day. :) :)

Tracking passport:

-----------------

the fatest way is, note the reference number after logging into the appointment booking site.

This will show up only if you pay the appointment fees..

once you have the reference number ..

got to -- http://www.loomis-express.com/ca/

Select Reference from the dropdown menu under TRACK A SHIPMENT to your left and give the reference number.

This information will showup between 7-9pm the next day of the interview.

If the status is UNDELIVERABLE. it means the passport is ready to pick up ...

Note: No need to wait for the waybill to show up in the login page of the appointment booking site...

as mentioned in the white slip given by the consulate officer.

US border(for those who plan to drive):

-----------

They will take your drivers license and passport and ask you to park your car to your right..

there one person will come and collect your car keys and will tell you to go to the officer inside the building

you will also get a yellow slip with your car number.

MAke sure you take your I797 and $6 for getting a new i94.

You have to wait for some time (around 20 min varies depends on number of people) befor an officer calls you.

He will ask you .. which company?(Tell your petetioner not client) what do you do? explain your duties?

where you are staying? and enter all those information. and collect your finger prints.

after that you have to pay $6 to get your new i94.

also he will stamp your yellow slip that has car number... and you are good to go :)

So the yellow slip for the person outside and you will get you car keys back ... Hurray your back to US :)

Note : there are tolls when entering into US and Canada around $2.50 each side.

I tried my best to post the information . Hope it helps atleast some.

ONCE again dont expect me to answer your questions as this is my friend's friend experience

GOOD LUCK all :) :) :)

• 1 year later...

Archived