Ottawa H1b Stamping Renewal Experience

dudebellary

Just wanted to share my H1b visa experience recently at US consulate Ottawa, I went for my visa renewal, In 2010 i changed employer and did not go for stamping as i was using my old employer visa with new H1b petetion to travel without any issues.

I am a fulltime employee for a fortune 500 company and also it is a well known retailer in US and across the world.

Background:

Did my Master is CS in USA, Changed my F1 -> H1B in 2009 for employer A (Desi Consulting) went to stamping in Calgary Canada, got approved.

On H1b changed employer to Fulltime in 2010 and recently went for stamping in ottawa, Got approved.

Canadian Visa: Since i was in Boston and did not want to travel to new york :), You dont want to go spend some extra money and wait in line, So chose to use agent and paid him $50 for me and my wife Visitor visa and i got it in couple of days stamped tension free! My wife was just visting with me, she did not had any stamping at US consulate.

Docs:

DS-160

I129,LCA

Employer Letter

Pay Stubs

Tax Returns

W2

Mark Sheets

Experience:

I had my appointment morning at 8:00 A.M and i reached consulate by 7:45 A.M, I had taken accomodation at Courtyard Marriot which is 5 mins walk from consulate, it is expensive but clean.

Step 1: Guard checks your appointment letter and lets you inside

Step 2: They check for your picture on the DS-160

Step 3: Window #7 takes your DS-160, Passport and I797

Step 4: Finger Printing

Step 5: Actual Visa Interview in my case was just for couple of minutes

Questions In Interview:

What do you do for your employer?

Did they file your GC?

When did you join them?

visa was approved and gave me a white slip to pick up the passport from DHL/Loomis express location, I was not asked any document during the interview, i feel if you are from a good company and paid all the time accoridng to your prevailing wage and no criminal background should be fine in most cases, But again each case is different and VO may look into different aspects based on his observation, I am sure they do their research before the interview.

Journey:

I live in Boston, So i drove from Boston through New Hampsire, Vermont to Montreal, Drive was very good as the fall colors are starting to show up which is beautiful in new england area, My appointment was on Monday so i took a day off on Friday and left to montreal stayed at Novotel montreal center for couple of days and visited as many places i could like Underground City, Bio-dome, Notre dame Chruch etc relaxed tried different countries food, as i am food lover :)

Montreal Cusines visited: Le Taj, China town, Mani's (Not great), Tandori etc

then on sunday evening left to ottawa which is 2 hours drive from Montreal and stayed at Courtyard Marriot, After my interview i was working remotely and later in the evening visited byward market had some indian food, Next day same continued as my way bill number was not showing up, went to Canadian parliament, museums etc, Tasted some good Kerala style fish curry at coconut lagoon, srilankan food at ceylonta. Later in the evening my waybill showed up and next day morning had my breakfast, picked up my passport then drove bck to US through montreal.

Ottawa Cusines: Coconut Lagoon, Ceylonta, shafali, Iskon temple buffet called Govinda's buffet (Veg) etc

US Border: not many questions asked, they asked me why me and my wife were in canada told him the reason, Gave me a new I-94 then drove home safely.

My recommendation to everyone is don't panic, It is very important that we should keep ourselves relaxed during or before the interview, Dont think too much, We are all professionals and have worked hard and crossed many obstacles to get to the point where we are and should continue to do the same. I wish everyone good luck and best wishes!! If any questions please i am open to answer them.

Take Care and Enjoy Madi!!!

Hi,

Thanks for posting your interview experience. I also stay in Boston and planning to get my H1b extension stamping done in Dec/Jan. Please share me the details of how to get canadian visa with out much effort. Also let me know if we can get stamping done from Montreal. It would be great if you can drop me an email

as i've never been to Canada for Stamping and am a total newbie.

Thanks,

Rajesh

Archived