Successful H1B visa renewal (stamping) in Juarez--DUI

axe

Hello :

I wanted to write this post for all you guys who have had the misfortune of having a DUI and then face the paranoia of renewing the H1-B visa.

I have read many other posts were people are always speculating and wondering what to expect when going for Visa stamping.I was too and couldnt find any posts which detailed experience in juarez.

I have had a DUI in 2009 and went for my Visa stamping this sept to Juarez.

On the day of my consulate interview, the visa officer asked me questions on the nature of my arrest, consulted w/ his supervisor and said " I approve ur visa , pending medical examination" we want to check if ur alcohol dependent..

My existing visa was cancelled, passport returned and my case created under administrative procedure.

I was expecting a medical test, but was dumb founded when I was told by the visa cell that it might take 4 to 6 weeks for the processing to be complete. The visa cell did take my phone number and cell phn to contact me , just in case..

I was asked to go to the medical centre , adjacent to the consulate (which for some reason is only open till 11.00 AM) I lost my appointment on the day of my interview, as it was already 11.00 by the time I could come out of the consulate..

The next morning I went to the medical center @ 6.00 AM , the center started taking in ppl @ 6.15 and I was 20 in the line..

Its difficult to move about w/ language constraint, but luckily some folks do know understand and speak some English in there..

I had to go through X-ray test, blood, whole body check w/ strip test, had to talk to shrink,make her understand I am not addicted to alcohol and take the piss test.

After the test was complete , I asked fernando (I think hes the one who deals w/ special cases like DUI) when will he send the results to the consulate, to which he said, the next day.. He did again scare me by saying it might take a long time for the consulate to take a decision and hes seen folks getting stuck for more than 4/6 weeks and that since juarez is a busy consulate, the visa cell takes their own time..

I was very anxious to say the least and was sort of getting myself ready for the worst..

I went to the hotel , decided against going to the consulate the next morning and went to the consulate the day after next..

I went to the administrative window in the consulate, showed my passport and they were to tell me that my medical results had only just arrived and that visa officer will now make his decision.

The officer said it will take anywhere btwn 4 to 6 days.. I went to the hotwl nervous again, but pleased that report was submitted to the consulate and that hopefully everything was fine..

I received a call from the consulate on friday evening (my medical test was on wed) asking me to submit my passport on monday morning and that the visa will be stamped on the officers discretion and that bit might take a day or same day (monday) to get my passport back..

I was elated and awaited for monday w/ bated breath.

On monday, went to the administrative section @ 7.30 AM to submit my passport , all this while, my case no on the website wasnt updated w/ any details and the visa officer had some trouble figuring out if I was saying the right thing..

Monday late evening , I got call from the consulate , stating my visa was approved and that I can collect it from the DHL office in Lopez Mateos @ 5.00 in the evening..

Collected my passport, @ 5.30 and crossed into US of A the next day..

Overall I would say it was smooth, but very pensive moments for sure....

Archived