Successful H1B Visa Stamping @ Ottawa -EVC

rashiars

Hello All –

I am thankful to this forum for all the info and help I have gotten from here and it’s a payback time. Hope you benefit from my experience

Most recent H1B (renewal) stamping on Sept 27 in Ottawa, Canada.

Background:

MS from US

First H1B stamping – Ottawa, Canada in 2007 – no issues (FT, direct employee)

(This should answer your question regarding first time H1B stamping in Canada)

Interview Questions:

1. Where do you work, how did you learn about this job, what are your responsibilities (all in one sentence)
  2. How long have you been working in the US
  3. Who are your clients (I now work as a consultant as in EVC model)
  4. Do you work offsite
  5. Who is my employer?
  6. Asked detailed/ specific question about my duties

No documents asked except I797. Period!

The VO was nice and jovial. We left at a happy note J

Some FYIs regarding passport pick up:-

1. You will be given instructions to collect your passport from DHL (also, Loomis express)
  2. You will be required to enter the waybill number to check your passport status on the CSC website
  3. Trick: If you don’t know the waybill number by 6 pm the next day of your interview, copy your reference id from the application summary page (CSC website, after you login using passport DOB etc).
  4. Go to loomisexpressdotcom. Select reference id from drop down and enter the reference id. You should be able to collect info!
  5. Keep trying this. This is the fastest way. Once the waybill number shows up it literally takes an hour for the site to update that it’s ready
  6. Once the status is “undeliverable” it means you can go pick it up. The DHL is open until 9 at night
  7. The status on CSC will be updated at about 10-11 pm at night

Other FYIs:

1. Please upload a recent photo on the DS -160 . No later than 6 months. You will have the option of going out and getting a new photo clicked. The Embassy guys provide all the instructions but it delays all the process.

2. I was # 9 in my interview. I guess majority of the guys were H1 prior to me and no one got stamped

3. Observation: not a lot of questions for the renewal guys. if it's a status change Fi-H1 etc expect some questions but very very basic - which school, why did you go? your paystub etc, LCA petition, How did you learn about this job, Your role in the company, what does ur company do etc etc (My husband had a F1 to H1, He is an FTE and we both got our visa)

4. We went to Ottawa via road. We had our I94 in our passports. We told the officer at the Canadin border that we are going for our Visa stamping and showed the appt letter. She did not take our I94. I don't know if it was because we had a visa interview or if we travelled via road. Please note that during my first H1 stamping time, no one took my I 94

5. We stayed at Embassy suites in DT about 1.5 kms from the embassy

I had all the documents even more than anyone could have possibly carried to the consulate ;)

Just like many of you I was really terrified with all the posts I had been following on forums since January of this year.

Note to all: The forums help but also put an immense pressure. If you’re good and have everything you need, keep moving with confidence. I have seen people saying that no matter how confident you are things won’t work.

Take it as a lie! Luck has some factor but get your documents straight. Have every documents and you’ll be good!

Good luck to all!

Hi Rashiars,

Congratz on your stamping. You have provided great information and thanks for correcting the typo which eases the tension.

You have also mentioned in your e-mail that you did see people who went for first time H1-B stamping. Even your husband did his first H1-B stamping. Is my understanding correct? Can you please confirm. Even I want to get my stamping done in Ottowa and this is my first H1-B stamping.

Really appreciate your support in this regard.

Thanks

Abhi

• 4 weeks later...

Guys!

I am very sorry for this delay. For various reasons, I could not log in/ had internet access. Not sure if your passports are already stamped but in case if not, here's my attempt to answer your questions.

@Avasi36: yes your understanding is correct. This was his first time H1 stamping. He has a Masters from US

also, I had my first H1 stamping from Ottawa in '07 and I also have a masters from US. What I want to state here is that if you have a masters from from US then you can go to Ottawa for your first H1 Stamping

@luckyGuy12345 : Yes, his was first time stamping......I am not sure of an answer for you OPT thing but my understanding says that it's not like H1B where you should be employed all the time. It's an OPTIONAL Practical Training. In my view, you should be fine

@Kona:I am not sure what your question is? I am guessing it's at the POE. If yes then You have to submit the passport to get the new stamp. If my understanding is incorrect, pls explain your question in detail.

@p5harma: I had too many docs. Not sure you require all those but I did not want to chance anything. Here's a list that I can recall right away:

1. Orginal I797

2. Passport

3. DS160 confirmation form

4. Latest paystubs for 8 months

5. W2 for 2 yrs

6. Tax returns for 2 yrs

7. Employment verification letter

8. End Client Letter

9. Copy of latest and previos contracts for the CURRENT PROJECT, since I have multiple renewals for the same project - between Employer and Vendor

10. Timesheets - 2 months - employer, vendor, client

11. Performance appraisals reports for past 3 quarters

12. Snapshots of my company's website where I track my work status on a weekly basis - past 8 weeks

13. LCA/ Petition/ Support letter to consulate - actually the entire packet that my employer sent to USCIS while filing for my H1

14. Copy of I 140

15 Company's tax reports

16. Petitioner’s employees of the job site listed. The list should show all employees’ names, their specific job titles, start and end dates, and their individual

17. State Unemployment Wage Reports.Salaries and immigration status.

18. Business card of my emlpoyer/ client. Also, made them aware that they could get a verification call

19. Company Brochure

20. MS Degree/ Transcript

21. Extra passport size photo as per the instructions for DS form

22.I also took copies for most of the documents I mentioned above plus the photcopy of all pages of my DL, SSN, Passport. May not be needed but I took them for just in case scenarios...I was out of country and somehow it made sense to carry all that :)

Good luck! Let me know I can be of further help!

rashiars ,

Thanks for your posting . This is very helpful . I am also planning to go to ottawa for first time stamping from F1 - H1 . I am a consultant with E- C modal . I need to know following details , if you help that would be great .

a) Employment verification letter - who provide this letter client or employer ?

b) End Client letter - what should be the draft for end client letter ( this is most important question) ?

c) 16,17 . Petitioner’s employees of the job site listed ( is this provided by your employer ?)

d) 19.Company Brochure ( client or employer ?)

@ArunJAD

Answers inline:

a) Employment verification letter - who provide this letter client or employer ?

Your Employer should provide this letter verifying that you work for them since XX date, salary$$$, you role, general responsibility and the name/location of your end client. This also means that the verification letter should tell the VO that you are working with bla bla client.

b) End Client letter - what should be the draft for end client letter ( this is most important question) ?

High Level content that: you are a consultant/ your role thru XYZ, working on ABC project since XYZ date , your resplonsibilities. You are an employee of your employer and there is no employer / employee relation between you and your client. My end client kept the end date of project open because it will run for some time.

My client also added some details such as: that I am working on multiple projects that are of various nature. My contract is reviewed regularly and the need for my technical services are required for long term

c) 16,17 . Petitioner’s employees of the job site listed ( is this provided by your employer ?)

Yes

d) 19.Company Brochure ( client or employer ?)

Employer....represent the company your employed with.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

• 1 year later...

Archived