COS doesn't refect at DMV database !

wiweq

I did the COS from H1b to F2 when I lost the job in Dec 2010. I was on F2 till April 20011. I got the job in April and H1b was approved with COS. New I94 was attached with I 797. In July 2011, I changed the employer and new I797 again came with attached I94. I94 numbers were same as the I94 I got at POE.

Now the problem is: on Oct 6 my Driving License is expiring and when I contacted to DMV office, they told that my immigration status is F2 as per National Database. They tried to change it electronically but it failed; now they are sending G-845 to update/ verify my status. Any Idea why it’s still showing F2 status?

I was laid off on Sept 15th and I filed COS to H4 on Sept 16th. I am not sure what current status they will get from G-845. Meanwhile I got an employer, who has started filing my H1b. Tomorrow they will file my LCA.

Experts, experienced people, please comment.

The DMV uses USCIS' SAVE Program. They are doing the correct thing by following up with the G-845. This is not uncommon. The G-845 will cause an actual human being to look into the various databases and sort it out. Students are in SEVIS and Hs are are CLAIMS, EADs have yet another database involved and it gets more involved after that, interfaces can have glitches.

Let everybody know how it works out.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for BigJoe, first DMV tried to update my status as H1b, but it failed. Later on they communicated with USCIS and did it manually. I got the license in last week of October.

Lesson learned: Apply for driving permit renewal before the 90 days (max period) of expiry date. This will make help you to let you drive! If you apply just at the time of expiry, you should stop driving until you get the new permit, and it may take time.

• 2 years later...

Hello,

My situation is almost similar, but the only difference is that my status changed form F1 - H1.

Long Story short - I came to US in 2008 on F1 and this year April my H1 has been approved. I haven't gone for stamping yet.

I went to a DMV in Miami, FL to renew my DL along with my I797 and Employer Letter, but they said that their system is still recognizing me in F1 status and they asked me to contact Immigration Office to change my status to H1.

Can somebody please explain whats happening and how can I get my DL renewed?

Thanks

Raghu

Archived