H1B to OPT

bh*id

Currently I am on H1B effective April 2011-April 2012 and I also got my 17 Month OPT approved and good through 06-2012. Now my employer is planning to revoke my H1B is there any way that I can request USCIS to Change my status from H1b to Left over OPT days so that i can stay in the country even my employer revokes my H1B?

Hello I saw this Query in USCIS website. It states that it is possible. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Q13. If the student has an approved H-1B petition and change of status, but is laid off/terminated by the H-1B employer before the effective date, and the student has an unexpired EAD issued for post-completion OPT, can the student retrieve any unused OPT?

A13. Yes, but only if USCIS receives the withdrawal request from the petitioner before the H-1B change of status effective date. Once the petition has been revoked, the student must provide their DSO with a copy of the USCIS acknowledgement of withdrawal (i.e., the notice of revocation). The DSO may then request a data fix in SEVIS by contacting the SEVIS helpdesk.

If USCIS does not receive the withdrawal request prior to the H-1B petition change of status effective date, then the student will need to file a Form I-539 to request reinstatement and wait until the reinstatement request is approved, before resuming employment.

Archived