H4 Visa stamping for Spouse-having two petitions I-797s one is valid till July 31st 2011 and another is valid from Aug 1st 2011 and valid till Apr 23,2012

srrinu

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have current H1 B petition-I 797 which is valid till July 31st 2011 and applied extension and its also approved and got new I-797 valid from Aug 1st 2011 to Apr-23 2012 for the same employer.

Now I am planning to do H4 visa stamping to my wife.I have following doubts,

1. Does my wife need to carry both I-797s?

2. which I-797 do we need to refer in DS-160/HDFC Receipt/Visa appointment in VFS etc.?

3. what could be H4 visa validity?

a. start date will visa interview attending date?

b. End date--July 31st (old I-797s) or 23rd Apr-2012(new I-797s)

4. which petition number will be mentioned in the H4 Visa stamped page?

Thanks Srini

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Srini,

I am in the same situation.

Could you plz answer the questions which you posted first time:

1. Does my wife need to carry both I-797s?

2. which I-797 do we need to refer in DS-160/HDFC Receipt/Visa appointment in VFS etc.?

Thanks,

MK

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

What does your wife's stamping mention? Both P# or just the recent P#?

My first h1 is due to expire on Aug 18 2011 and the extension runs from Aug 19 2011 -2014.

When my wife appeared for he H4 interview she furnished both 797 petitions. But the stamp notation mentions only the recent petition P#(after Aug 19th).

Can she now enter the US in July 2011 based on the old petition even though its not mentioned in the stamp? What has your experience been?

thanks

• 10 months later...
Hi All,

Just wanted to tell you last week my wife got H4 visa stamped at HYD valid from May 4th(considering old petition validity) to till end of the new petition.

Thanks Srini

Hi srrinu,

I am under a situaltion exactly like your, I would really appriciate your advise in this regards.

Can you please help me with following questions, these are from your original post.

Does my wife need to carry both I-797s?

which petition number will be mentioned in the H4 Visa stamped page?

which I-797 do we need to refer in DS-160/HDFC Receipt/Visa appointment in VFS etc.?

what could be H4 visa validity?

Thanks,

--Manik

Archived