Can an H-1B Visa holder make a real estate investment and collect rent?

poncho3101

I would like to schedule a consultation in regards to real estate investing activities while holding an H-1B status. My plan is to make a real estate investment, which is considered a passive investment, to purchase a small apartment complex (5 apartments) and possibly live in it, at the same time.

I am aware that during the period I will hold the H-1B status I can only receive payment from my employer. Nevertheless, it is to my understanding that I am able to make passive investments, so the following questions I am making are in the context of a real estate investment.

My questions are:

Is there a maximum amount of money I am allowed to invest to not be considered passive?

Do I have to hire external managerial services if the properties I am leasing are more that 1?

Does living in the apartment complex will waive the need to hire external managerial services?

How would an investment of this nature could be seen in the eyes of USCIS at the time I apply to my green card, could it affect the decision USCIS make?

Archived