I 94 expired due to Passport expiry though Valid H4 visa in old passport

sai2607

All,

My I94 validity:May 7th 2011 because old passport was expiring on the same date.

Got the new renewed passport.

We dint knew that we have to apply for extension of I94 though had valid h4 visa(untill April2012 on my old passport until I went DMV (i,e 2weeks after expiry of I 94) for my driving liscence .

So approached my employer who contacted attorney and said I have to leave US ASAP and reenter.

Hence went to India on May 26 since i had to make all the arrangements for my family which is over stay of 19 days in US and returning on June 14.

Will there be any issues at POE because of over stay?

Appreciate your advice an suggestions.

Thank you

You need to submit your old I-94 to the officers at airport. Usually nobody cares when you leave the country.

It is at the entry that they check the valid visa. You can see people overstaying commonly because of I-94 expiry. Most of us don't know about that. You should have no problems reentering unless your luck is so bad.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

hi 

my wife passport is expiring on july 22 2014 and i 94 expiring on the same date.

question 1: we are applying for passport renewal at BLS atlanta in person this week........so we dont know the processing time, it might take 6-8 weeks or more...meanwhile i 94 is expiring soon so what should i do extend i 94?

question 2 : if we cross the border and come back will tht work ?...... or a visit to india? is there any problem if she is in us till she gets her new passport?...( after i 94 expiry date)  

hi 

my wife passport is expiring on july 22 2014 and i 94 expiring on the same date.

question 1: we are applying for passport renewal at BLS atlanta in person this week........so we dont know the processing time, it might take 6-8 weeks or more...meanwhile i 94 is expiring soon so what should i do extend i 94?

question 2 : if we cross the border and come back will tht work ?...... or a visit to india? is there any problem if she is in us till she gets her new passport?...( after i 94 expiry date)  

1. Apply for passport using tatkal service at Embassy of India, Washington.

2. With an expiring passport there is no way to get an I94 beyond passport expiry date. She can visit India, get a passport from there and enter with a valid H4 visa.

Archived