Query: H-1 Stamping in India or Canada?

rahul408

Hello Experts,

PRESENT SITUATION: I am Rahul currently working with one of the Big 4 American consulting firm in the US. I have been in the US since 2007. I recently changed my job from an Indian IT firm to this US consulting firm. I got my H-1 approval notice and temporary I-94 which is valid till 2014. Just FYI that , my stamped H-1 with earlier firm has expired.

PROBLEM: I have to go to India for 2 weeks in November. To enter back in the US I have to get my passport stamped. I am yet to take an appointment in Delhi consulate. My employer has warned me that recently there have been many cases where consultant's visas have been put on hold for upto 120 days. If I go to India I may not be able to enter US for around 4-5 months. The other option is that I get my US visa stamped from Canada but for that I have to first apply for Canadian visa and I dont have much time (travel to India is scheduled for Oct 21)

I have two questions:

1) Although it cannot be predicted for sure, but have there been too many cases of "Visa put on hold" off late (especially for people with consultant in their designation)?

2) Is canada option a viable option? I am not sure whether I am eligible for Canadian visa given that I dont have valid stamped US visa on my passport currently

Please help

Thanks

Rahul

Originally posted by san_diego:

I am in exact same situation. Its just that I have to go to India in Jan.

My company said Canada is not an option since old stamp has expired.

Chances of geting approval in India is 50%.

Lets see if someone else is in similar sitation.

Thanks,

San

Please let me know if you hear positive news about some consulate in India

Archived