H1(221G) -H4 conversion

221GFEB10TH

It has been nearly 5 months I submitted the documents for the 221g that I received during the H1B stamping visa interview.

I got married recently and my wife is in US and wants me to come on H4 visa.

My Current petition of H1b is with USCIS and the message on USCIS website is “A USCIS office received this case from the State Department with a request that we review it. We will notify you when we complete our review, or if we need something from you†I have scheduled a Visa Interview for H4b in couple of weeks.

My question is

a) what should I tell the VO if he/she asks me about my h1 petetion ( I have emailed Chennai Consulate that my case is with USCIS and they replied back saying that I can’t cancel my H1b therefore I can go ahead and apply for h4 Visa).

b) If i get H4 stamped and go to US, Can I use my current H1 petition and do a Change of status (COS) in case if my H1B is approved.

c) How many months should I be on H4 before changing to H1b?

d) In case my case gets approved and USCIS sends back the case to Chennai Consulate can I start working in US since H1b is approved and cancel my H4?

e) My employer doesn’t want to give a relieving latter since the case is still with USCIS. Should I take any proof to show the VO that I don’t have any intention to work since I will be going on H4?

Archived