Started working before start date on H1-B

WCG_MRT

My H1-B was with company A and ran till the end of July 2011. I applied for a transfer and received an approved H1-B for company B on July 5th and joined them on July 18th, tendering my resignation to Company A on July 15th. Company B recently sent me a copy of the H1-B and the start date on that is Aug 1st. So my question is

1) How much trouble am I in since I unknowingly started working for company B before the stated start date on the transfer H1-B?

2) How can I rectify this situation? There was no intent to commit fraud, just an honest misunderstanding.

Thanks

My understanding of the issue is that since I already had an approved H1-B before resignation from company A, I am not out of status even if company A would have revoked my H1B (Not sure if they did), and if I don't get paid for the 2 weeks that I unknowingly worked for company B before the start date, I should be fine. This is just a guess. Hopefully an attorney or someone with a better knowledge of immigration law can chime in with their opinion. Thanks.

Generally, working without authorization violates an individual’s status and should be rectified as soon as possible. It is advisable to speak directly with a qualified U.S. immigration attorney experienced in such matters to discuss your options and best approach to correct this error and your residual status issue. The Murthy Law Firm has a very well-regarded H1B Department with extensive experience who would be able to provide you with excellent assistance. Please feel free to call our office to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys.

Archived