EAD lost in the mail and passport expiring in Feb 2012, India travel

KNR

I lost my EAD in the mail.Booked tickets to india on december 2011 coming back to USA in january 2012(Valid AP).My Passport will expired in Feb2012 if i want to renew the passport i need to send the notarized copy of EAD to indian embasssy.

Can somebody in this forum can give suggestion what to do? If i apply for replacement of EAD it will take 90 days.what i have to do????

It is early in the morning and my head may not be on right yet, but based on my calculations, February 2012 is more than 90 days away. Also, why in the heck Indian consulate is asking for EAD? You can be illegally present, have no status whatsoever, but that does not strip you of Indian citizenship, and thus they must extend your passport, anyway. Another thing - can you extend your passport while in India?

Originally posted by Belle:

It is early in the morning and my head may not be on right yet, but based on my calculations, February 2012 is more than 90 days away. Also, why in the heck Indian consulate is asking for EAD? You can be illegally present, have no status whatsoever, but that does not strip you of Indian citizenship, and thus they must extend your passport, anyway. Another thing - can you extend your passport while in India?

Extending passport in India is pain the A**, i would suggest OP do it here, They usually ask for one of your legal document, i have sent a copy of I797. I got my passport back in exactly 2 weeks. My friends have done the same.

Originally posted by SameerH1Bworker:

Belle, just to update you, Indian consulate renews passport if you've certain status like H1B, H4, EAD & few more. They do not renews passport if you're here on business or travels visa(B1/B2).

AP and 485 receipt does the trick. No EAD is required, I did this 3 months back at NY consulate.

The downside of doing renewal on AP (or even EAD) is NY India consulate will issue only 1 year valid passport and then you have to get the validity period renewed again after that.

Archived