Can I delay filing CP?

Nag1d

I have an approved labor and I-140 with a priority date of March 2008 (EB-2). I recently got tired of the wait and the unpredictable situation of the visa dates and moved to Canada (where I got my PR). My employer in the US agreed to keep my I-140 alive. Now, two months after coming here, I find that the visa dates have moved significantly and the prediction is that by September this year, my dates would be current. Since I have just moved here and somewhat settling down, I feel I should wait till I get my Canadian citizenship and then apply for Consular Processing. This will however take about 3.5 years. My question is, if my employer continues to keep my I-140 alive until then, can I file for CP after 3.5 years? Is there a timeline after dates become current by which you need to file for CP?

I have got myself into a situation by my own choice which in hind sight looks really foolish. However, I would like to make the most of this situation and get things back on track. I am looking to get the Canadian Citizenship and then the US green card. Any information and advice is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Nag1D

Belle,

Thanks for the response and the clarification. So, does this mean that I have to go back and work with this employer?

Would I have options to work for another employer directly after consular processing? Also, for CP are there any documents that I would need form my sponsoring employer? I have the soft copy of my approved I-140 only.

Regards,

Nag1D

Originally posted by Nag1d:

Belle,

Thanks for the response and the clarification. So, does this mean that I have to go back and work with this employer?

Yes.

If you use CP, you have to have a valid, notarized job offer from the original employer.

Changing employers is only possible when an I-485 is filed and pending for 180 days.

And of course, the PD has to be current.

Archived