H4 visa denied under 214 (b)

stuckon221g

Hi experts,

I am in a weird situation. Mumbai consulate has rejected my wife's H4 visa stamping after 5 months of administrative processing.

Surprisingly visa has been rejected under section 214 (b) which is bizarre to me. As per my understanding this section does not apply to H & L class at all.

Any one in this kind of situation ? What should be the next step in this situation ? Can any one recommend good attorney in NY/ NJ area.

Thank you very much in advance !!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It is true that Sec. 214(b) of the immigration and Nationality Act does not apply to H4 visas. There have been instances when one writes to the Consulate indicating this, the Consulate sends another letter stating that the visa was refused under Section INA 221(g). So, it may be better to analyze the underlying H1-B petition and make sure that there is no change in circumstances from the time the H1-B petition was approved and now in terms of employment, job duties, etc. As a starting point, if you think the H1-B is clear you should contact the U.S. Consulate by email and decide on the further course of action based on the response received. You may also contact Murthy Immigration Services in India for assistance with this matter.

Archived