When to leave job on F1 STEM OPT if H4 stamping is done outside US

Hi,

I’m currently on F1 Stem OPT and working full time. I wanted to leave my job and change my status to H4 due to personal reasons. I’ve travelled to India for stamping and got the visa approved but still I’m employed. As I’ll be travelling back to US on H4, should I resign now while I’m in India or should I leave the job once I’ll reach US?

I believe when I’ll enter US on H4, I won’t be eligible for work, so if I don’t leave my job before entering US, will it be a problem?

7 hours ago, User6788 said:

Hi,

I’m currently on F1 Stem OPT and working full time. I wanted to leave my job and change my status to H4 due to personal reasons. I’ve travelled to India for stamping and got the visa approved but still I’m employed. As I’ll be travelling back to US on H4, should I resign now while I’m in India or should I leave the job once I’ll reach US?

I believe when I’ll enter US on H4, I won’t be eligible for work, so if I don’t leave my job before entering US, will it be a problem?

You are correct, that you will not have work authorization when you enter the U.S. on H4 status (without the H4EAD). However, when to inform your employer of your resignation is your decision. You just cannot work when you enter the U.S.