H1B Drop box ceac VISA Status shows REFUSED

I submitted my H1B extension drop box in Chennai, India and yesterday the status changed to REFUSED with below message. Anyone went through this process recently and any advice ? Note: I'm going to VISA process after my Maxout in H1B and i140 approved.

A U.S. consular officer has adjudicated and refused your visa application. Please follow any instructions provided by the consular officer. If you were informed by the consular officer that your case was refused for administrative processing, your case will remain refused while undergoing such processing. You will receive another adjudication once such processing is complete. Please be advised that the processing time varies and that you will be contacted if additional information is needed. For more information, please visit TRAVEL.STATE.GOV or the website for the Embassy or Consulate at which you made your visa application.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:54 PM, Grey said:

I submitted my H1B extension drop box in Chennai, India and yesterday the status changed to REFUSED with below message. Anyone went through this process recently and any advice ? Note: I'm going to VISA process after my Maxout in H1B and i140 approved.

A U.S. consular officer has adjudicated and refused your visa application. Please follow any instructions provided by the consular officer. If you were informed by the consular officer that your case was refused for administrative processing, your case will remain refused while undergoing such processing. You will receive another adjudication once such processing is complete. Please be advised that the processing time varies and that you will be contacted if additional information is needed. For more information, please visit TRAVEL.STATE.GOV or the website for the Embassy or Consulate at which you made your visa application.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and I hope it gets resolved soon. I have a Dropbox appointment scheduled for the first week of March. I initially booked this slot on December 17, 2023, when I qualified for a visa interview waiver. However, the interview waiver rules were updated on January 1, 2024. According to the new guidelines, applicants renewing a nonimmigrant visa in the same category within 48 months of the previous visa's expiration date remain eligible for interview waiver.

In my case, my visa expired eight years ago, making me ineligible for interview waiver under the current rules. I'm curious to know when you booked your slot and whether your visa expired more than 48 months ago. I find myself in a confusing situation and would appreciate any insights you may have.

Should I proceed with dropping off my documents as scheduled, or would it be advisable to initiate a new application and schedule an interview based on the current rules? Is it possible to change my appointment from Dropbox to a visa interview within the existing application? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 8:24 AM, Grey said:

Did you get an update ? I got the same Dropbox status on Feb 16. They still have my passport.