H4 -> B1/B2 change due to spouse's travel abroad.

ghm2183

Hi,

We are indian non-immigrants in the US since 10+ years. My wife has an H1B visa(approved I-140), and I am on her dependent H4. Her company, X, is sending her overseas for a year (2025) to work for X's foreign office in Feb 2024 before returning to the US. We plan to get B1/B2 for the duration, to visit the US during her deputation to X's foreign office. I had held an H1B (approved I-140) until June 2023, which is when I got an H4 visa through consular processing.

1. If asked during the B1/B2 interview, what should I mention as a reason for applying for a B1/B2 to go back and forth from the US during this year?

2. Would it help my wife to shows a signed contract from X's foreign office during the interview as a supporting document? Any other documents you would recommend. The foreign office is not in India.

3. If we go for a B1/B2 interview in this month, say December, and it is denied, does it affect her H1B(and thus my H4) status?

Edited by ghm2183
Completed a sentence
  • ghm2183 changed the title to H4 -> B1/B2 change due to spouse's travel abroad.