Marriage certificate apostle/attestation for a NRI spouse in Dubai

MUI

Hello there,

My wife(to-be) is a NRI working in Dubai. I've planned to schedule L2 visa appointment at Dubai US Consulate after our marriage in India.

I am not sure if the marriage certificate issued by Indian government will be accepted as-is in Dubai US Consulate or does it required to be attested/apostle.

Thank You!

Edited by MUI
Grammatical
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2023 at 11:20 PM, MUI said:

Hello there,

My wife(to-be) is a NRI working in Dubai. I've planned to schedule L2 visa appointment at Dubai US Consulate after our marriage in India.

I am not sure if the marriage certificate issued by Indian government will be accepted as-is in Dubai US Consulate or does it required to be attested/apostle.

Thank You!

When scheduling an L2 visa appointment at the Dubai US Consulate after your marriage in India, it's important to ensure that the marriage certificate is properly authenticated and accepted for use in Dubai. The specific requirements can vary, and it's advisable to confirm with the consulate or embassy for their exact guidelines. A lawyer in Dubai can also help you out in this issue. 

Generally, marriage certificates issued by the Indian government might need to be attested or apostilled to be recognized by foreign authorities, including those in Dubai. Attestation or apostille is a form of authentication that verifies the legitimacy of official documents for international use.

The process of authentication typically involves:

1. Attestation: This may involve getting the marriage certificate attested by the concerned Indian authorities, such as the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) or the respective State Home Department. After this, the certificate might also need attestation by the UAE Embassy or Consulate in India.

2. Apostille: Alternatively, if the UAE is a member of the Hague Convention, an apostille certification from the Indian authorities may be sufficient. An apostille is a simplified form of international authentication recognized by countries participating in the Hague Convention.

Ensure to:

- Contact the Dubai US Consulate or Embassy and inquire about their specific requirements regarding the acceptance of Indian marriage certificates.
- Check whether they require attestation or apostille for the marriage certificate.
- Inquire about the procedure and specific documents needed for authentication or apostille.
- Obtain the necessary certifications well in advance of the visa appointment to prevent any delays or issues.

Having the marriage certificate properly authenticated or apostilled ensures its validity and acceptance by the authorities when applying for visas or conducting official matters in Dubai.