F-1 re-entry to the USA

Recommended Posts


I already have 21 credits in a school in NYC. I am back in India for a year. I've been admitted to the same school again and have to attend another academic year. My visa is valid for another 26 months but has the old sevis ID on it. Is it okay if my I-20's sevis ID differs from the sevis id mentioned on my visa? My sevis was terminated this year so my new I-20 states--- FORM ISSUE REASON: "INITIAL ATTENDANCE".

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

When there is a change in your SEVIS (Student and Exchange Visitor Information System) record, such as a new SEVIS ID or a change in your status, it's generally recommended that your visa reflects the most up-to-date information. However, having a different SEVIS ID on your I-20 compared to the one on your visa is not uncommon, and it doesn't necessarily lead to a visa reissuance.

Here are a few key points to consider:

  1. SEVIS Termination and New I-20: If your SEVIS was terminated, and you have a new I-20 with a new SEVIS ID for "INITIAL ATTENDANCE," it indicates a new start in the SEVIS system. This often happens when there's a break in your program or a significant change in your status.

  2. Visa Validity: The visa itself is a travel document and is not automatically invalidated when there is a change in your SEVIS record. However, having a valid visa with outdated information may lead to additional scrutiny at the U.S. port of entry.

  3. Travel Plans: If you plan to return to the U.S. using the existing visa, it's important to carry both the old and new I-20s with you. The immigration officer at the port of entry will have access to your updated SEVIS record and can match it with the information on your I-20.

  4. Visa Reissuance: While it's not required to update your visa immediately after a change in your SEVIS record, some individuals choose to do so for consistency and to avoid potential issues at the port of entry. If you decide to travel and your visa expires, you will need to apply for a new visa with the updated information.

  5. Consult with the Designated School Official (DSO): Before making any travel plans, it's advisable to consult with your DSO at the school. They can provide guidance on your specific situation and may offer additional advice on maintaining compliance with your F-1 status.

I would also recommend you seek advice from Immigration consultant. Seeking guidance from your school's DSO and possibly consulting with an immigration attorney can help ensure that you have accurate and information based on your situation.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.