Successful visa stamping with dwi

dwimistake

I recently had a dwi incident in April and had to fly to india immediately in may due to my marriage. With a dwi arrest, your visa gets prudentially revoked and you need to attend for a visa interview. After talking to couple of lawyers, i was suggested to have my case closed before going for the interview (i.e. either plead guilty or prove you are innocent). A conviction doesn’t matter as long as you are arrested for dwi, you are treated as a dwi offender. After a long wait and trying to get information regularly from support-india (which is of no help. They repeat the same information available on ceac), i was finally issued the visa. Lesson learnt, never drink and drive. Nothing is worth the stress.

dropbox location: Hyderabad

consulate: Hyderabad

Date of incident: April 30, 2023

H1b dropbox: May 10, 2023

Application received: May 23, 2023

221g date: June 2, 2023

DWI Case closed: June 16, 2023

Interview date: June 23, 2023

panel physician: June 27, 2023

Reports sent: July 3rd, 2023

Administrative processing : Aug 25, 2023

Passport submission mail: Aug 29, 2023

Passport submitted: Aug 31, 2023

Approved: Sept 1st, 2023

Issued: Sept 22, 2023

the processing times are pretty slow, try to stay calm. The processing cannot be expedited based on your need and we cannot communicate with anyone in consulate to get the status.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I was arrested in August 2022 for a DWI with a minor in the car (while I was parked at a gas station). Later, this charge was reduced to a DWI class B misdemeanor with deferred adjudication and probation of 18 months. I can get this case expunged after two years. Some lawyers have told me that if I go for stamping, my case will possibly be denied because of the "aggravating" factor present in the police report during the time of arrest. Can someone please advise if this is true? I had read online that for H-1b stamping with DUI, they refer you to a panel physician exam, but I want to know how the aggravating factor would affect this case.