Taking break in H1B and coming back

Dipali@VA

I am posting this for my friend, she is in 12th year in US on H1B status, current H1B is valid till 2024 November, has I-140 approved from previous employer(the employer has closed the company and but the I-140 has not been revoked). She has health issues and needs to take treatment for a year. Can she take a break from H1, move to H4 status, and resume on H1 after a year? If she finds a new H1B sponsor employer can the employer use old employer's I-140 to file H1 and new Green Card using the priority date? If this is risky, what could be another way of taking a 1 year break?

Thanks, that helps. Here is the current situation, could anyone provide any inputs:

The H1 extension is filed in premium processing, but the 15th working day from receipt of the application by USCIS is falling after current I-94 expiry. If the H1 extension gets RFE, then can the H1 to H4 COS(based on spouse-approved H1) be filed after I-94 expiry stating that H1 extension was filed on time before I-94 expiry? Is there any risk in applying such COS application after I-94 expiry in long term?