B2 VISA to attend US Citizen marriage

phoenix2030

Hey guys I was in H1B and completed my 6 years term as of May 2023. I am currently in India waiting for my perm ( PD mid Nov 2022). My close friend (US citizen) marriage is on Nov of 2023 and I am one of the groomsmen. With the current timelines it will be hard to get my perm certified and H1B extended and stamped before Nov 2023. So I was thinking to get B2 stamped and travel to US to attend for wedding alone and once my perm is certified and with i140 approved apply for B2 to H1B transfer and then start to work once that is approved.

I have below queries:

1. What are the chances of getting B2 approved.

2. If I get B2 approved and travel would that in anyway hinder my Perm process.

3. If point 2 is on positive note then is there any chances the B2 to H1B getting denied?

Edited by phoenix2030
Typo
23 hours ago, phoenix2030 said:

Hey guys I was in H1B and completed my 6 years term as of May 2023. I am currently in India waiting for my perm ( PD mid Nov 2022). My close friend (US citizen) marriage is on Nov of 2023 and I am one of the groomsmen. With the current timelines it will be hard to get my perm certified and H1B extended and stamped before Nov 2023. So I was thinking to get B2 stamped and travel to US to attend for wedding alone and once my perm is certified and with i140 approved apply for B2 to H1B transfer and then start to work once that is approved.

I have below queries:

1. What are the chances of getting B2 approved.

2. If I get B2 approved and travel would that in anyway hinder my Perm process.

3. If point 2 is on positive note then is there any chances the B2 to H1B getting denied?

The purpose of your trip (to attend the wedding) is acceptable under the B2 category. The key will be sufficiently documenting to the consular officer you are a groomsman and that is the sole purpose of your trip. If while in the U.S. you have a basis to file a COS to H1B, and this basis occurs after your entry, then it is unlikely you will have an issue.