Advance parole automatic extension

Recommended Posts


We have an AP with a pending I-485. As an Indian citizen, can we travel to the Tijuana border in Southern California, and return immediately using AP without needing a visa to Mexico? Also, will the AP get extended, since it's expiring soon? 

Earlier this year, I returned from India and my AP got extended at the port of entry.


Link to comment

AP is a travel document that allows you to re-enter the U.S. Generally, when visiting a third country you would need to check with your consulate on whether you are required to obtain a visa prior to traveling.  

As for AP - renewals/extensions are not granted at the port of entry. Generally, an applicant needs to be within the U.S. and file for an I-131 renewal application, up to 4 months prior to the existing AP expiry date. AP's are not automatically renewed, and therefore you will need to obtain the new I-131 approval in order to be able to use it for travels outside the U.S.  To discuss this in more detail I recommend you reach out to our Firm and schedule a consult to speak with a qualified attorney.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.