Returning Resident Visa

I am a US citizen and my mom who is 75 years old has a Green Card that expires in two months. She overstayed in India without prior notification for the past year and 6 months.  She overstayed because of health reasons.  Her return flight earlier this month was canceled at boarding. We applied for a Returning resident visa was also denied by the American Consulate this week for overstaying for reasons NOT beyond her control.  My questions are:

1.      Can we reopen the case with more documentation to show the reasons for her stay and her hospitalization records and letters from her doctors etc.? 

2.      Can I reapply for her Green Card from India?  What are the chances of it getting approved from India? How long could be the wait? This would be her third GC as she gave up the first one voluntarily in 2015 when she overstayed in India.

3.      Should I apply for her Visitors Visa as her GC is expiring soon and reapply for her Green Card from the U.S. after she visits me? 

Please tell me what options I have and how soon I can bring her back to the States given her age and health conditions.  Your help is much appreciated!

• 1 month later...

I am in a very similar situation, except that it's the first time my parents have overstayed. Has your mother's issue been resolved, and if so, how did you resolve it? Also, was she denied boarding, or was the cancellation of flight for another reason? Why didn't she rebook her flight? Also, does the US consulate provide detailed reasons as to why the returning resident visa was denied, and was it denied after the interview and health checkup etc.?