Stamping interview questions | H4 to H1 ##### Important / Help needed quickly #####

vamura

Dear Friends,

I was on a H1B visa (Applied for it, after coming to US on a H4 visa) since 2008 without pay. Recently my employer declined when I requested to pay me so that I can use the pay stubs, to be able to transfer to other employer, as my visa is soon expiring. He also mentioned that I am still on H4 visa, as they've not 'ACTIVATED' the H1 visa. I have skimmed thru many forums, and arrived at an understanding there is nothing called 'ACTIVATING' a H1 visa, as the change of status to H1 from H4 is immediate once I receive the approval.

Now my attorney told that I need to travel to India and come back on a H4, as I am currently out of status as my employer didn't pay me so far.

I am concerned as, I am not sure what to answer if the consulate officer asks me about my out of status..

My questions are:

1) Would it be a good idea to file for a WH4 with the DoL when I am here in USA, and wait for the acknowledgment, before I go to an US consulate in India for a H4 stamping.

2) Alternatively, can I just apply and not wait for the acknowledgment, and go to the US-consulate in India, and show them the proof of my WH4 claim, if they ask me about out of status

and, last but not least..

3) Is there a concept called 'Activation' that I explained above exists? If so, what could be my answer in the consulate interview, for an Out of Status question, as my H4 expired somewhere in the 2008, and I was under the impression that I am on a H1B visa.

Any thoughts, and advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

You are correct,there is nothing called activation.As soon as you got your H1,that itself means USCIS activated your new Status :)..If you plan to go back on to H4,it would make sense to file the WH4 on a fraud company and keep that filing proof for you Visa stamping.Your H1B is only valid if your employer hasnt cancelled it.So as long as you have a Valid H1B,your employer is legally bound to pay you...and you are in H1B status.

Good Luck.

Vamsi

Archived