SEVIS marked complete

DSO at school recommended I transfer to another school as my I-20 expired at end of summer semester and the university does not have any more courses I can register for Fall semester or leave the country. They also marked my SEVIS as completed.

I have applied to other universities and awaiting admission, new I20 for Fall semester. Is my stay legal while I await admission?

It is not very clear why your SEVIS record was completed and what exactly you current situation is. Generally, if you have not completed your program of study and you have an inactive SEVIS record, you may need to apply for reinstatement to F-1 student status. While a student in these circumstances would be out of status, an application for F-1 reinstatement based on their current enrollment or future enrollment in a new program will provide them with a basis to remain in the U.S. awaiting a decision on the reinstatement application.