OPT Denial

rht123

Hi. I was told that my OPT will be denied because I have applied after 30 days of getting my OPT i20 application. It is now too late to get a new OPT  I20 because I am past 60 days after graduation. 

If I enroll in another masters will I be able to do my OPT after Second masters since OPT is denied after first masters? (Assuming I have not yet given a decision by USCIS and it is still pending decision and I made a transfer to another university within this time)  

Can I appeal and plea for my OPT in this case?

Do I need to leave US and comeback with new stamping and new SEVIS ID to get OPT after my second masters? What are my chances to comeback? (My visa is valid until  JULY 2026) 

If you haven’t been approved for post-completion OPT at the master’s degree level then you would be eligible for it once you complete another master’s degree.

If you filed your I-765 more than 30 days after your DSO made the recommendation in SEVIS for OPT then you would not have a good basis to contest a decision to deny your request for OPT. Therefore, filing a motion on a denied OPT because it was filed outside of the filing window is highly unlikely to be successful regardless of what your reason is for missing the deadline.

Whether your SEVIS record is active or not determines whether it can be transferred to another master’s program, without having to leave the U.S. If it is no longer active then you will need to travel with an I-20 for Initial Admission and apply for a new F-1 visa (if you do not have it already) to re-enter the U.S. to start a new master’s program.