Green card processing while in J1 visa, but application started while being outside of US.

Recommended Posts

I am a green card holder and my spouse started her green application recently. But she intends to apply for a J1 visa to do her medical residency in the US. 
First of all, will she be granted a visa to do so when the application is pending? 
Second, if she is approved, how will the green card processing change? Will it be considered as a status adjustment case or a consular processing case? 

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...

If your spouse is granted a J-1 visa, she may be subject to a two year home residency requirement, which will require her to return to her native country for two years prior to applying for a green card, whether through adjustment of status or consular processing. Though your spouse can also try applying for a waiver of this requirement.

If an individual is present in the United States and in a valid status, then they can apply for adjustment of status. If the individual is abroad, then they must apply for a green card via consular processing. Prior to taking any specific action it is highly advisable that you speak with an experienced U.S. immigration attorney as there are nuances to any situation and approach.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.