H1 layoff - convert to H4 with new I94 from Tijuana - help

Shriya84

Hi,

I am recently laid off from my H1B job. My employer revoked my H1b visa just now. I have valid H4 visa on my passport. I want to go to go to San Diego and walk to Tijuana and reenter US immediately. While reentering, I will require a new I94 with H4 status. Thus I want to change my status from H1 to H4. Please let me know if the CBP / Border Visa officer will issue me a new I94 with H4 visa on it or not. I have all valid I797 and paystub from my husband who is on H1B visa now. I will not go for H4 Visa stamping in Mexico as I already have H4 visa in passport.

I want to make sure that I will get a new I94 from the border visa officer before entering US from Mexico. I do not intend to stay in Mexico for more than 30 minutes.

Please help as I am in difficult situation. Kindly share your latest status change experience at Tijuana border.

Your reply to this post is highly appreciated.

It is my humble request to all who have had experience recently in crossing to Mexico by walk on the San Ysidro border and then immediately returning back to US by walk and getting new I94 cards. Please share your experience here. It will be very helpful if people who have done change of status from H1 to H4 or H4 to H1 to reply to this post and share their experience.

Requesting your kind cooperation.

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

Archived