Layoffs

Attorney_22

This week, Murthy Law Firm attorneys will answer questions regarding those affected by layoffs.

If you have a general question, but do not wish to post it in the forum, you may reach a representative at the Murthy Law Firm via eMail. Please allow 3-to-5 business days for a response. Or, if you have case specific questions, please schedule a consultation with a Murthy Law Firm attorney.     

Rules for Topic of the Week Threads:

1. Attorney's postings contain general information only and are not a substitute for case-specific legal advice.
2. The attorney will answer only those questions which relate to the main subject. If you have a question on some other issue, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.
3. The attorney will not necessarily answer every question posted and may provide a single answer to a group of similar questions.
4. Please do not provide information which would identify any specific company, university or individual.

Hi,

I wanted to check if you get laid off with 10 weeks severance (staying on the payroll for 10 weeks), does the 60 day period for valid stay start after the 10 weeks are over? Also, can I switch from H1B to F1 while in US without having to go back to India? 

Thanks!

Naren

Edited by NC17
typing mistake
On 1/19/2023 at 11:23 PM, NC17 said:

Hi,

I wanted to check if you get laid off with 10 weeks severance (staying on the payroll for 10 weeks), does the 60 day period for valid stay start after the 10 weeks are over? Also, can I switch from H1B to F1 while in US without having to go back to India? 

Thanks!

Naren

Intelligent minds may differ, but the maintenance of H1B status requires "work". Therefore, it is my recommendation to take the conservative approach and consider the 60 day grace period as starting on the day after you cease working for your employer, and not the end of compensation. As long as you are in status when making the request, you can file an change of status to F1.