University asking to Pay Fee through Debt Collector after 2 years

Hello,

I am an international student currently on OPT and I had admits of 4-5 universities(when I came to USA around 2 years ago) out of which I had chosen one and went to do my masters. I am currently done with my masters and after 2 long years, the other university had reached out to me through a debt collector asking me to pay the fee of a huge amount. Since I never attended the university and my visa was also not related to that university and I never did SEVIS Check-in there, I told them I cannot pay this huge amount. But they are not considering it saying I had registered for classes. I really think this is a huge injustice because if I did not pay the fee, they could have cancelled my enrollment(just as they cancelled my SEVIS record) but asking me to pay the fee after 2 years is very shocking. I was not even given any notice about this earlier. Kindly advise on what could be done in this situation. I am highly tensed regarding this and feel that I am being exploited as I never went to the school but am being asked to pay a huge amount of debt.

Looking for any kind of suggestion or guidance.