H1B Successful Renewal - Vancouver

lapakshi

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to let you know about my H1B Visa Renewal experience in Vancouver.

This is my second time in Vancouver. For the same employer. I have studied in the US and have been with my current firm for 2.5 years. Non-IT full-time role in Statistics.

To get an appointment in Vancouver:

1) Fill out DS160. Get confirmation number.

2) Use confirmation number to secure an appointment via USVisaInfo website

3) Pay MRV fee of $150. No need to goto Scotia bank like in the past. Very straightforward.

My appointment was for Tuesday, Sep 13:

1) You line up outside the consulate 15 minutes before appointment time.

2) They check your docs & id and let you in after a security check

3) The first counter you get to, they will examine your documents, take the I797 & Passport, ask about your visa status in Canada. They will also check if your photo was taken within the last 6 months.

4) It is ok if it wasn't because there's a photo both within the consulate. $10 will get you 6 passport photos. I had to do this because they didn't accept my old photo. Relatively painless here.

5) Then the person at the first counter will give you a token.

6) Then you wait for you token to be called and go to a second counter for your biometrics (fingerprints)

7) Then you wait again for your token to be called so that you can proceed to the 20th floor, where the real action happens.

8) It's a small waiting room with interview booths on one side. You can hear people being questioned by the Visa Officers.

9) Relax here :)

10) Your token will be called and you will be directed to a specific counter

The questions that I was asked were:

1) Who do you work for?

2) What is your job title?

- Try to have a one line answer describing what you do.

3) Where is your employer located?

4) Were you ever on H1B in the US?

5) Have you studied in the US?

Then the VO said that my visa was approved. He said it would be ready in 3-5 business days. He also gave me a one-pager describing how I would know when my passport would be ready for pickup.

Next day evening I received an email from DHL that my passport had been picked up from the consulate. The email also had a tracking/waybill number attached to it. I called up DHL next morning to see if they had my passport and they said they did. The pickup location is very close to Vancouver airport.

You go there with your tracking/waybill number. They bring out a DHL envelope with your I797+Stamped passport. Check all the details on your visa stamp and you are good to go!

Good luck folks. Keep posting. These forums have been quite helpful.

Archived