Away from the US for 11 months on premanent resident card

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

If having a green card and been away from the US for 11 months, do I need to abandon my green card (and apply for ESTA) before travelling back to the US?

Me and my wife have been trying out living in my home country for the last 11 months. We are planning on going back to the US soon but will only stay in the US for a couple of weeks. I have a green card but do not fully understand if I will be granted entry since I've been away for so long. I did not file any travel forms before leaving the US. I do not want to abandon my green card unless I have to since we want to keep our option of living in the US. However, I want to make sure that I will not have any problems while travelling back to the US after being away for such a long time. Can add that I have not had any income in the US while being abroad.


Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.