Travel ban due to pandemic

Hi,

I am currently in India and I have got my F1 Visa last month for Master's in Computer Science. My class is starting from June 07,2021 and I had already booked a flight ticket of 25th May 2021. But due to ongoing pandemic there is a travel ban for Indians from May 04, 2021. 

As per my research, I see that students with F1 Visa whose class is starting from August comes under exemption category. But there is no information about student joining summer session 2021. 

Am I eligible for the exemption or do I need to defer my session to fall 2021.

Hello, 

According to the exemptions mentioned by the Secretary of State on the travel ban, the following has been stated: (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/News/visas-news/presidential-proclamation-on-the-suspension-of-entry-as-nonimmigrants-of-certain-additional-persons-who-pose-a-risk-of-transmitting-coronavirus-disease-2019.html) 

Students and certain academics covered by exchange visitor programs. Students subject to these geographic COVID proclamations due to their presence in India, China, Iran, Brazil, or South Africa, may qualify for a National Interest Exception only if their academic program begins August 1, 2021 or later. Students with valid F-1 and M-1 visas intending to begin or continue an academic program commencing August 1, 2021 or later do not need to contact an embassy or consulate to seek an individual National Interest Exception to travel. They may enter the United States no earlier than 30 days before the start of their academic studies. Students seeking to apply for new F-1 or M-1 visas should check the status of visa services at the nearest embassy or consulate; those applicants who are found to be otherwise qualified for an F-1 or M-1 visa will automatically be considered for a national interest exception to travel.

The above statement makes it clear that your program may only qualify for a national interest exemption if your program starts after August 1st. I believe in your situation it is better to defer to Fall if you have that opportunity. Otherwise, contact your university and let them know of this issue and see what they suggest you.