Visitor Visa extension beyond Visa term

SaiM1

Hi Everyone,

In case of Visitor Visa(B-2), we are aware of the procedure to be followed for applying an extension of stay within US beyond the I-94 expiry date. In our case, the Visa term is also coming to an end soon after the I-94 stamp date. As we know, the second wave of COVID-19 in India is turning out to be very bad. As such, will it be possible to request for an extension even after the Visa expires, citing the worsening COVID situation in Home country? We have already applied for an extension for the time between I-94 expiry date and Visa end date. If possible, please let me know will it be any different procedure than that of the normal extension we apply post I-94 date.

Thank You.

• 1 month later...

Entry visa and I-94 dates are different.  One can enter the country on the last day of the visa expiry and still stay for up to 6 months (or up to the authorized stay mentioned in the I-94 document).  You must apply for extension of I-94 well before the expiry of the  I-94 stay.  Medical or certain emergency personal reasons can be stated, but generally if you are healthy and unless you have child or spouse to take care of in US, it may be difficult to get extension.  Situation in India may be a consideration and if you are elderly with medical issues, they could grant the extension.

USCIS will let you know if they granted the extension or not.  If they did then you can stay until the date of extension (which can be beyond the entry visa expiry date).  However if they do not, and your I-94 has already expired, you have to leave the country as soon as possible.  You may have problems reentering US in the future or may encounter issues for renewal of visa.   With the Covid 19 excuse, it is possible that your explanation might be accepted.