H4 to F1 Visa change - currently residing in India


Recommended Posts


I am in India now. I am on H4 Visa which will expire on April 2021. Due to personal reasons, my husband left me and went to USA, so i could not go for stamping and lost my job in USA. So, i would like to change my status to F1 for my career. I already applied for Universities and waiting for i20's. Can you please advise me what are the process required for me to change the status to F1? Attending visa interview for F1 would be sufficient, since i am in India? Or do i have to fill i-539 and get it approved (i heard this is only if we reside in US). If i-539 is required, will i need my husband's documents? He will not sponsor me, since we are not together. 

Please advise.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.