Is the Dropbox option still available for H1 visa stamping in India?

I should be eligible for the dropbox but the system didn't prompt me with dropbox eligibility questions. I think there's a system error. I am a full time employee with same company since 6+ years and this is my 3rd stamping with the same employer (never had any issues with dropbox). Instead the system is asking me to schedule an OFC appointment!

And no dates in Mumbai until Feb 2021. And the earliest for other cities is September, October 2020. Additionally, I wasn't able to schedule any appointments until a few days ago but today for some reason I was able to schedule Sep, Oct appointments and would reach the confirmation page. Not that I wanted to schedule it in the first place but was only testing the site/system. They froze my account for the next 72 hours not sure why (extremely lame security protocol as I wasn't attempting to login/logout..I was just browsing back and forth). 

Questions-

1) Why am I not receiving the interview waiver questions/drop-box option and confirmation? Should I redo and repay the fees?

2) Why are there no available dates until October? Do you think all of this will refresh once the consulates open?

Please advise. Thanks!

Regards,
Akshay

On 5/13/2020 at 6:33 AM, AbhayCharan said:

US consulates in India will not be open at least until January 2021, either for dropbox or interviews. do not even try to book appointments, it is just a waste of time. Forget about travelling to USA for the next 12 months, that's not gonna happen.

Please provide a legitimate source for this information. By legitimate I mean US gov websites. Thanks!

On 5/13/2020 at 11:50 PM, skmmsk123 said:

@AbhayCharan What is your information source? Or is it just your speculation?

On 5/14/2020 at 12:54 AM, curiousness said:

Please provide a legitimate source for this information. By legitimate I mean US gov websites. Thanks!

it is not official yet....but we have to consider ourselves lucky if they open the consulates before Jan 2021.

Also, there is an EO coming out next week which will ban issue of H1 visas for at least 6 months for those who are currently outside USA. so, even if consulates are open, because of the ban, we won't be able to go for stamping. This is bad news for H1 aspirants but that is what going to happen in next few days. better be prepared to face it than disappointed later.

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/in/

Information for visa applicants regarding novel coronavirus: As of March 16, 2020, the United States Embassy and Consulates in India are cancelling routine immigrant and nonimmigrant visa appointments, and will not process 221gs. As of March 20, interview waiver and biometrics appointments are cancelled. We will resume routine visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time. The MRV fee is valid and may be used for a visa application in the country where it was purchased within one year of the date of payment. If you have an urgent matter and need to travel immediately, please follow the guidance provided at www.ustraveldocs.com/in to request an emergency appointment.

On 5/16/2020 at 6:12 PM, AbhayCharan said:

it is not official yet....but we have to consider ourselves lucky if they open the consulates before Jan 2021.

Also, there is an EO coming out next week which will ban issue of H1 visas for at least 6 months for those who are currently outside USA. so, even if consulates are open, because of the ban, we won't be able to go for stamping. This is bad news for H1 aspirants but that is what going to happen in next few days. better be prepared to face it than disappointed later.

Let's just wait for the EO then. And let's say even if that EO comes out I don't think it will be applicable for those who are already on H1 for years (With I-140 approved as well since a few years) and have a valid 797 work authorization approved until 2023. 

And if it is then US will have to deal with cancelled car payments, mortgage payment issues, and a boat loads of other obligations that people had in the states. Not sure if that's something they would want/do but let's see. Thanks!

On 5/16/2020 at 8:42 AM, AbhayCharan said:

Everyone is asking you for the source of your information? Do you have a cousin in the whitehouse who is tipping you with this information?

You need to answer these questions first before giving us with information from more of your 4 am dreams. 

The EO , if their is any will not include current H1B visa holders or the ones who have held H1B visas in the past. Only 2021 Cap H1b's outside USA might be in trouble. I have read that reports have been sent to USA administration that including temp guest workers in the ongoing immigration suspension will have no significant impact on the job crisis in the USA so we shouldnt be surprised to see if they don't include any suspension. Also very soon may be mid june or early july you will have consulates opening for visa appointments (as per top Indian government officials).