J2 EAD to H1B (2 Year home residency rule Applicable)

Recommended Posts

I have very unique case and I am hoping for answer from this forum.

  1. I am currently maintaining J-2 visa status in the United States and  subject to the 2-year foreign residence requirement pursuant to Section 212(e) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.
  2. Employer A filed an H-1B petition on my behalf last April, which was approved on October 3, 2019 for consular notification; but I continue to work with them based on current employment authorization document (EAD).   
  3. In late-December, a second employer filed an H-1B petition as a change of employer/change of status. A request for evidence (RFE) was issued last week in connection with that petition in which USCIS questions whether the position offered qualifies as a specialty occupation and requests evidence that I have complied with the foreign residence requirement or have obtained a waiver of that requirement.

The request is to obtain a second opinion concerning whether to respond to this RFE  without 2 Year Waiver and what impact Employer A's withdrawal of their H-1B petition may have on my future eligibility for H-1B status.

Can I apply for H1b Consular notification transfer with employer B as cap exempt based on existing I-797B Notice (Valid till 2022) after resigning employer A and obtaining waiver document ? 

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.