F1 To H1B COS on October 1st


Recommended Posts


I am on STEM OPT from Dec 3rd 2018  and my H1B got picked in April 2019 lottery and is approved in June 2019. But I lost my job in July and company filed for withdrawal on AUG 2nd 2019 and it reached USCIS on AUG 7th 2019 (well before oct 1 deadline). On October 1,2019 my COS approved to H1B and my SEVIS got completed. Now I am still waiting for USCIS  to respond to withdrawal notice for my H1B and I have couple of questions regarding  my current and future actions.

1. Can I continue working on my Unexpired STEM OPT EAD Card while I await for the response from USCIS( SEVIS data fix from H1B to F1 cannot be done until I receive that letter from USCIS)?My college said I can continue working since it is withdrawn before October 1 but they cannot generate I20 for the new employer I joined in November and had to wait for data fix to happen in SEVIS.

2. I have only one more attempt to go for H1B. What if USCIS does not respond before March 1. I will not have I 20 for the current employer I am working for.

I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Any advice is great appreciated in this matter.



Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.