Travel to India during OPT-STEM, F1-Expired

travellerlanka

I am writing to ask for your advice regarding traveling to India in December.

Currently, I am under the OPT-STEM Extension (received my updated EAD/i20 as well) of the master’s program. My F1-Visa is expired in June 2019. I have a full-time job in a reputed company for the next two years. The counselor from the International Student Office at my university says that it is possible to get the F1-Visa renewed (In India) during the OPT-STEM period. I just wanted to take your advice on the process, and if it is fine to travel with my current situation.

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.

Generally there should not be an issue in getting F1 renewed with an OPT endorsed i120 and a valid EAD in hand. However there are many moving parts here. 

- Did you ever violate F1 status/OPT rules ?

- Did you do multi year CPT or OPT or day1 CPT ?

- Any criminal records ?

All of the above can create issues for you. I would suggest to get a professional review of your case done by a competent attorney.  Some officers have known to reject OPT based F1 applications because F1 is for study 😞  . Also there have been times where F1 was denied because the applicant had only a month or so left on OPT. Travel on OPT in general is not suggested because of these reasons. 

Edited by xTDx