Can H1B & H4 transfer be initiated while outside the country?

Recommended Posts

Me (on H1b) and my wife (on H4) are traveling to India in October. We have visa stamping due and are eligible for drop-box with the I-797 valid until March 2020 from Employer A. After stamping is completed, can I ask Employer B to initiate the H1B & H4 transfer while I’m still in India? I plan to give notice period to Employer A after I come back to US. Employer B wants me to start early and may not wait for me to return and then start the transfer. Any help is appreciated.

Edited by Hugo_boss_1
Link to comment

Technically yes, Employer B can file for your H1 while you are in India. But the issue is that you dont have a valid I-94, which means they might have to file under Counselor processing. If approved you might have to leave the country and comeback again to get a valid I94.

Talk to Employer B's attorney and see what they suggest.

Link to comment

I find it troublesome and it may be considered as borderline fraud. Think it this way : You applied for a visa to work for employer A where your intentions were not to work for A but to work for B.

imo, best way is to get B file a petition on your behalf in premium, use that petition to apply for a visa and come back.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.