Academic Professor - on staying tenured during unpaid leave of absence


Recommended Posts

I am an Indian citizen, tenured professor on an H1-B visa. I would like to take an unpaid sabbatical from my university (i.e. they cancel my H1-B) so I can go work for another university for a year (on an H1-B transfer). Can the university "keep me on its books" (whatever that means) as a tenured professor if it does not pay me and does not have an H1-B for me? I'd ideally like to not resign tenure, since reinstating tenure is a complicated process at academic institutions. Is this just an internal issue for the university? Does USCIS care? There are professors (American citizens) at my university who have taken such leaves of absence and their tenure has been kept secure in the meantime. Thanks!

Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.