Jump to content
All posts are moderated, so it will take time for your post to appear!
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Filling N-400

Recommended Posts


While filling out "Information about your residence" section in N-400, do I need to report the address where I resided (~1-2 months each time) while I went back to my home country during vacation? 

Also, my wife - who has been using her pre-marriage last name till now (we have been married for 15+ years) wants to change her last name as part of the citizenship application. If she requests a name-change in the application, will her naturalization get delayed because of court proceedings? How frequently does the oath taking ceremony happen under court supervision and under USCIS administrative supervision?

Finally, few years back I had received a traffic citation because I was driving with one of my car's headlights busted. I paid a fine of $25. Do I need to report that? I dont have any documentation of the date or citation (even the year). How do I report that?

thanks in advance


Share this post

Link to post

For minor gaps when you went to home you dont need to worry. You can report the same address where you stayed in US as long as you were renting or owning it

Your wife can apply for name change. Processing time is difficult to guess and highly variable on a case to case basis. I would anticipate more time just to be on the safe side


Report all traffic violations as instructed in the form. Nothing to worry, most wont change your application process , always tell the truth to the person when you are interviewed and you should be fine. All the best


Share this post

Link to post

You reside in the US when you have a Greencard. Vacation travel doesn't mean you reside where you go for vacation.

As for the court proceedings, that depends on the district where you live. Some districts, like in the San Francisco area, don't do court proceedings at all, in other districts the oath ceremony is always a court session.

You need to list all citations. You don't need to have documentation if it was under $500. Just write what you remember.


Share this post

Link to post

Thank you JoeF and my2239.

Regarding my wife's name change: I live in San Jose, CA. Is it advisable to request a name change? Her Green Card (and all her documents) have her maiden name. If she requests a name change (because of marriage), will marriage certificate suffice as documentation (or our current passports where we are listed as each-other's spouse)?

If (as part of SF-Bay Area) name change is not done, will they decline her application or just approve it with her maiden name?

Is it advisable to just keep her maiden name in the application, and change it later - just to keep everything clean (though it may cost us more - which is okay I think). 


Thanks in advance.

Share this post

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now