difference in SOC code in H1B labor and PERM application

indilemma

Hi All,

I work in a computer industry as a hardware engineer. For my H1b filing the SOC code that came back from SWA was 17-2061: Computer Hardware Engineer.

Research, design, develop, or test computer or computer-related equipment for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use. May supervise the manufacturing and installation of computer or computer-related equipment and components. Excludes "Software Developers, Applications" (15-1132) and "Software Developers, Systems Software (15-1133).

Now, my company has filed for PERM.

In that the SWA came back with 17-2072: Electronics Engineer, Except Computer.

Research, design, develop, or test electronic components and systems for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use employing knowledge of electronic theory and materials properties. Design electronic circuits and components for use in fields such as telecommunications, aerospace guidance and propulsion control, acoustics, or instruments and controls. Excludes "Computer Hardware Engineers" (17-2061).

My job duties have not changed and I am with the same company.

Is this something to get worried about? I am not sure if SWA came back with an incorrect SOC code.

Please help!

This may or may not be an issue depending on the position in which your employer wishes to employ you in the future. Without actually talking to you and your employer it is hard to confirm whether or not this will be a problem for your case. Therefore, I recommend that you contact a knowledgeable immigration attorney in regard to your case so that you can have your questions properly analyzed and answered.

The Murthy Law Firm has a very well-regarded Greencard Department with extensive experience who would be able to provide you with excellent assistance. Please feel free to call our office to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys.

• 6 years later...
On 7/13/2011 at 2:12 AM, indilemma said:

Hi All,

I work in a computer industry as a hardware engineer. For my H1b filing the SOC code that came back from SWA was 17-2061: Computer Hardware Engineer.

Research, design, develop, or test computer or computer-related equipment for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use. May supervise the manufacturing and installation of computer or computer-related equipment and components. Excludes "Software Developers, Applications" (15-1132) and "Software Developers, Systems Software (15-1133).

Now, my company has filed for PERM.

In that the SWA came back with 17-2072: Electronics Engineer, Except Computer.

Research, design, develop, or test electronic components and systems for commercial, industrial, military, or scientific use employing knowledge of electronic theory and materials properties. Design electronic circuits and components for use in fields such as telecommunications, aerospace guidance and propulsion control, acoustics, or instruments and controls. Excludes "Computer Hardware Engineers" (17-2061).

My job duties have not changed and I am with the same company.

Is this something to get worried about? I am not sure if SWA came back with an incorrect SOC code.

Please help!

I know this is a very old thread, but I’m in the same boat and curious if you had any issues with different SOC codes for the same job for H1b and PERM?

Archived