Can I be unemployed for 2 weeks before joining the new company on an H-1B change of employer petition receipt?

greennc

I have a great job offer from a big software company who are about to file an H-1B change of employer petition. I intend to join the new company upon receiving the USCIS receipt number as I'm unusually confident that it will be approved given the position and the company's reputation. When I get notice from the new employer that the petition has been filed, I want to give my current employer the customary 2 week notice before leaving. 
However, an employee in my current company recently gave their 2 week notice and the company chose to terminate their employment the same day. Are there any adverse consequences if the same happens to me given my situation? 
So, when I receive the receipt for an H-1B change of employer petition and give my 2 week notice to my current employer, what happens if my current employer terminates my employment immediately? Am I safe since the petition has already been filed by the new company by that time? 
Also, what happens if my current employer revokes the original H-1B petition? Am I still safe considering that the new company already filed for the H-1B change of employment? 
What is your advice? Any other information would be greatly appreciated.

18 hours ago, JoeF said:

A 2 week notice is just a courtesy. It is not required.

The old employer is required by law to inform USCIS if you no longer work there. It has no effect on you.

Thank you. I understand that a 2 week notice is just a courtesy.

What I'm concerned with is what happens if my current employer terminates my employment immediately after receiving a 2 week notice? Can I just be unemployed for those 2 week and then start my new job?

And what happens if my employer notifies USCIS that my employment with them has ended? Am I still safe considering that the new company will have already submitted the transfer petition by then?

Archived