Day 1 CPT

Attorney_22

This week, Murthy Law Firm attorneys will answer questions regarding academic programs that grant CPT on the first day of the program.    

Rules for Topic of the Week Threads:

1.  Attorney's postings contain general information only and are not a substitute for case-specific legal advice.

2.  The attorney will answer only those questions which relate to the main subject. If you have a question on some other issue, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum section.

3. The attorney will not necessarily answer every question posted and may provide a single answer to a group of similar questions.

4. Please do not provide information which would identify any specific company, university or individual.

Important News Flash: https://www.murthy.com/2019/01/30/newsflash-f-1-student-alert-students-farmington-university-mi/

The Murthy Law Firm has received numerous reports that F-1 students currently enrolled at University of Farmington, in Michigan, began being taken into custody on the evening of January 29, 2019. The students at risk appear to be those who transferred to the school from a previous program of study at the same level (usually, masters) and who are authorized for Curricular Practical Training (CPT). Most students have not been enrolled in classes on a full-time basis. Those who have been affected or who think they may be affected are advised to consult with a knowledgeable removal defense attorney for advice.

This situation is developing and we will be posting updates as more information becomes available.

So DHS ran a fake university and consulates ( work under DOS) issued F1 visas to students ? And now DHS and its other agencies are deporting the students back ? What a waste of human time , money , emotions and resources. This sting so far seems more shadier than the fake university itself. High time for anyone affected to start consulting a competent law firm.

1 hour ago, xTDx said:

So DHS ran a fake university and consulates ( work under DOS) issued F1 visas to students ? And now DHS and its other agencies are deporting the students back ? What a waste of human time , money , emotions and resources. This sting so far seems more shadier than the fake university itself. High time for anyone affected to start consulting a competent law firm.

As the original article from the Detroit news said, they've run another fake university before, the "University of Northern New Jersey."

But I don't think the consulates were involved. This is mostly about people who wanted to stay with CPT from day 1.

Even with TVU, the consulates quickly caught on and didn't issue visas, so people signed up with real universities, got visas for that, and then immediately transferred to TVU when they arrived in the US.

I was a Day 1 CPT student last year, but I have attended all the classes and it is a good university. Now I have my h1b and adjustment of status got approved.

I have couple of questions, any reply will be greatly appreciated.

1. Due to August'9 unlawful presence, do I need to exit the country or come back after the h1B stamp or I can stay continuously since I have approved adjustment of status?

2. what will be the future impact due to Day 1 CPT, in h1B extension, Amendments...etc?

4 hours ago, Randyusa said:

I was a Day 1 CPT student last year, but I have attended all the classes and it is a good university. Now I have my h1b and adjustment of status got approved.

1. Due to August'9 unlawful presence, do I need to exit the country or come back after the h1B stamp or I can stay continuously since I have approved adjustment of status?

2. what will be the future impact due to Day 1 CPT, in h1B extension, Amendments...etc?

Quite frankly, I don't think any good university gives out CPT from day one.

And USCIS has been cracking down on it, in particular if people had OPT already and are using this with a second Master's.

You should discuss your situation with a good immigration lawyer.

7 hours ago, xTDx said:

Oh, and it doesn't seem to be entrapment. There were no classes, so everybody who signed up for this had to know it was fake.

Like this post:

People know that these institutions are frauds, "dummy college" as that person called it.

On 1/31/2019 at 5:49 PM, Randyusa said:

Based on the terms you are using it is not clear what your current status is. It may be best to discuss your situation with a U.S. immigration attorney in detail.  

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why such "students" are enrolled in such shady institutions. It's not entrapment when you have 129 arrests and 7 recruiters, primarily Telugu-speaking Indian nationals , and the only US organization coming out in support being the Telugu Association of North America. 

As JoeF noted, people know that these institutions are fraud. 

Archived