Extending beyond 6 years - Procedure and Travel

runnerrunner

Hi everyone,

My employer has initiated H1B extension; my 6th year is ending July 2019 and I have an approved I-140.

Assuming that the extension is filed on time, can we travel outside the country until the extension is approved? And I believe the time outside cannot be recaptured ever?

Does one have to go to a US Consulate to get a new visa for this extension?  

I hear that the RFE process is now sparingly used even for extensions and it is quite possible to go directly to rejection. How true is this?

• 2 weeks later...

My knowledge is limited in this, especially travel. I have never tried to travel during renewal process (Attorneys say better not to, so consult them).

If your Visa (remember:Visa stamped in passport)  expired only with in  the last 12 months and you are in the same Visa category, you can do it by the drop-box process, no need for a Consular visit. 

My co attorney filed a premium case for my extension (10th year, approved I140) and got approved in 5 days in November!

• 2 weeks later...

@runnerrunner: Travel outside of USA is not advised while extension or amendment is in pending. As long as you have current H1B visa valid or expired within last 12 months of the day you are planning to attend for visa interview, you will be eligible for dropbox instead of attending for visa interview. If possible, work with your employer/attorney to upgrade to Premium Processing once it is resumed on Feb 19, 2019 to be in safe position.

Archived